Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Sea Foam


I am enthralled by colors. An understatement by the looks of what I’ve churned up in the past months. Strangely I prefer muted and neutral tones for my clothes and home.
As a child I had a strange concept that colors has gender (this is before I learned years later as an adult the concept of gender in some languages as in the French).
I have forgotten all about it until recently when I started to paint again and I am deconstructing hues more regularly.
Not only colors had sex they were also paired:

red (f) – blue (m)
yellow (f) – green (m)
orange (f) – brown (m)
white (f) – black (m)
gold (f) – silver (m)
dusky rose (f) – turquoise (m)
etc..etc..


and get this;
*purple can be both male and female depending on which color it is paired with,

ie: purple (f) – brown (m)
purple (m) – fuschia (f)


now, the top list of colors from red to gold were the primary colors to me, their original pairs are as listed above, if any of the colors are paired with other colors, they are fine but they are simply not in it’s original pair. The rest of the other multi tiered colors are of course can be paired with any of the colors in their category.
loony eh?

these gender placements does not mean that a certain color can only be on man/woman depending on the order of that I had placed it. It does not mean that a girl should wear red/yellow/orange/white etc. It is not where the colors should be but the color itself is male/female. To me they were like some sort of a living being.

Only as I got older that I discovered the categorization of warm and cold colors, which I guess made more sense.

What brought about to this mindless rambling? I’ve been doing a bit of online research on Marrakesh. :-) If there is one place on earth that I must visit in my lifetime, it’s Morroco. Most definitely.


* this was when I was 6 or 7 okay – I had no idea what bi/homosexuality is at that time

15 Comments:

Blogger Desparil said...

i could never understand how come red is a female colour while blue is male. always thought that red is agressive/macho hence male while blue is soothing hence female.

but, what the heck do i know lah?

p/s- nice pic though. a bit too abstract for me. without the title i wouldn't have a clue what it was.

Tue Jul 25, 04:34:00 PM  
Blogger raksaksabiskut said...

Des: he he he, well, maybe it’s the gender roles that we were brought up with.

i go to abah if : skinned knee, kena buli dengan budak sebelah, jatuh pokok, nak duit etc etc

go to mak if : err…I only go to her for food, lain2 tak payah. che-ngé
In fact I think all the women in my family are che-ngé..lol

I don’t know much either Des, it was when I was kid lah. just the imagination. At that time I would see 3inch tall people walking and living in the wood work of my old house..ha ha ha

Tue Jul 25, 05:10:00 PM  
Blogger waffles said...

i was watching travel channel last weekend on marrakesh. i share ur sentiments doll. must in this lifetime. must.

Wed Jul 26, 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger raksaksabiskut said...

sensuous kan? :)

Wed Jul 26, 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger constance wong said...

How creative and interesting! :) Hmm..as for me, I'd really like to visit Moscow someday.

I like the painting you did for Opposite :)

Wed Jul 26, 09:04:00 PM  
Blogger sic6sense said...

definitely Morroco. marrakesh then off to watch the sunset in the desert on shifting sand dunes. :)

Wed Jul 26, 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger JekyllHyde said...

Fuschia's definitely female. I like fuschia... ;)

Thu Jul 27, 01:40:00 AM  
Blogger raksaksabiskut said...

Constance, he he..i had an overactive imagination. thanks dear.

sic6sense, Jom! my senses would go into overdrive in that city :)

jekyllhyde, wahey…welcome back. fuchsia eh? a passionate color. hmm..why am I not surprised..;)
bougainvillea and dragon fruit comes to mind too..ha ha!

Thu Jul 27, 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger JekyllHyde said...

thank you cookie. It's great to be back!

Sat Jul 29, 06:07:00 PM  
Blogger gravtkills said...

i am confused abt these colors

Mon Jul 31, 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger HH said...

Hi!

Been following your blog for sometime and was surprised with the shift. Are you not using crayon anymore?

Wed Aug 02, 07:55:00 AM  
Blogger raksaksabiskut said...

Gravt Kills: heya! Don’t confuse yourself :) a lot of things are not meant to be understood ;)

Restless: well..it's not a permanent shift, I will still use crayons/oil pastels whenever the mood strikes. I am still in my experimenting mode,
hence the different medium :)

Wed Aug 02, 09:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

getting abstract, eh?

Morocco is fantastic ... u'd enjoy it very much.

Fri Aug 04, 10:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew you can draw, let alone paint. Where was I for the past xx years?

Mon Dec 04, 11:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aa.. no wonder gays love purple.. but i just dont understand why they have rainbow as a flag..

Thu Dec 18, 10:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home